Friday, July 29, 2011

Frugal Friday- Myth Busters + Trip

Happy Friday!  I'm so anxious for tomorrow.  I have a hair appointment, and I've been rocking some serious roots lately!  I've been trying to decide what to do with it... darker? keep it light? cut? let it grow?  decisions... decisions...

There are a lot of common couponing myths out there.  I used to think a lot of them were true.  But I'm here to bust a few of them for you!
1Coupons are for stuff you won't use.  
This is completely false!  Doesn't everyone use toothpaste, shampoo, soap, razors?  The list could go on and on.  I use apparel store coupons all the time too! 
2Coupons are for processed junk food.  
This may have been true in the past.  But now there are so many organic companies out there, and they are jumping on the bandwagon!  I've used coupons for fresh fruit, bagged salads, organic peanut butter, organic chicken, yogurt, regular and soy milk... and many more.  Even Whole Foods has store coupons which can be combined with a manufacture coupon.
3.  Shopping at Wal-Mart is cheaper.
This tends to be the one that gets me the most since I used to be such a Wal-Mart shopper.  Sure, sometimes you can find things cheaper at Wal-Mart.  But more often than not,  I can get something significantly cheaper (or even free) at Target, Walgreens, or CVS.  I do this because these stores have store coupons (Target's you print from their website, Walgreens are in their ads and in a coupon booklet in the store, and CVS prints out @ the register or the Q machine in the store) that you can stack with manufacture coupons.  If you use the 2 on top of something being on sale its usually a rock-bottom price.  If I go to Wal-Mart with a list now I find myself spending way more money than if I just shop the sales everywhere else.
4.  Only poor people and old ladies use coupons.
I can't tell you how many times people make comments about others who use coupons.  When did saving money mean you were poor or old?!  I save as much money as I can on groceries, toiletries, and household items so that the husband and I can do fun things with our money.  Or so that we can buy nice clothes, shoes, and I can splurge on my haircuts and highlights.  Actually, according to a study by the Neilsen Company people who make over $70k annually are more likely to use coupons more frequently. 
5.  Couponing takes too much time.
This one could go either way.  It definitely depends how much you want to put into it.  The people on the crazy TLC show spend hours and hours a day clipping, sorting, and planning.  I certainly don't do that.  Now I don't have a stockpile like they do.  But I don't need one either.  My personal opinion is that no one needs that much of one thing unless you are going to give it away or donate it.  I have a very small stockpile of things I use often (body wash, lotion, razors, shaving cream, soap, facial moisturizer and cleanser, soy sauce, ketchup, mustard, salad dressing).  But that is about it.  So I don't have to spend HOURS getting ready for a shopping trip, because I'm not "extreme."  I check out the websites I mentioned a few weeks ago for the match-ups, clip and print my coupons, make a list, and head to the store.  EASY!

As promised I'm going to give you the details of a SMALL Target trip I did a few weeks ago.  Often I run to Target on my lunch break to scoop up some deals each week.  I have an obsession with Target.  I just love the atmosphere and all of the great deals I get there.  Sorry for the bad pics, it was with my iPhone.  
 
I bought Target brand disinfecting wipes, jeans, rubbing alcohol, and 2 cans of Aussie hairspray.
Up & Up Disinfecting Wipes, 35 ct $2.19, Regular Price
-$0.50/1 – Up & Up Cleaning Item, Excludes Trial/Travel Size, Target Coupon – (target.com)
Final Price: $ 1.69
UP & Up Isopropyl  Alcohol, 16 oz, $1.02, Regular Price
- .75/1 Up & Up First Aid Item, Target Coupon - (target.com)
Final Price: .27
Aussie Hairspray, $2.27, Regular Price
-$3/1 Herbal Essences/Aussie Styler wyb any HE/Aussie Produt - (7/3 Proctor & Gamble insert)
Final Price: $1.54 for 2, or .77 each
Mossimo Brand Jeans, $4.98, on 75% clearance
-$3/1 women's jeans, Target coupon (target.com)
Final Price: $1.98
My total would've been $12.73 before taxes, but I paid $7.83 total. Now that's not the greatest savings in the world. But I got a pair of cute, well-fitted jeans and a few necessities. 
Target is one of my favorites places to shop for clothes.  They always have really cute items on their clearance racks.  I think the jeans coupon is still available to print.  I know the last time I checked they still had a ton of clearance jeans left.  This coupon could make for free jeans if they are even cheaper now.

1 comment:

  1. it is so fun to find other people who enjoy using coupons (esp. at target) as much as i do! i wish i would have found some good jeans with the recent really good denim coupon from the target website!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!